Friday, May 9, 2014

Treats: Lure! Don't Bribe

This is exactly why I instruct you to start with luring with treats or use food as a reward not as a bribe because they already aren't doing it. 
For example we started teaching "Cash" a 15wk Pom how to walk on the leash and he had never even had a leash on before today so he was extra stubborn so we started walking he dug his heels in and with a little encouragement after a few steps on his own he got a treat. Then after 3 or 4 more steps next to me he got another treat. If I had come back to him and bribed him with a treat after he had dug his heels in he would think "Cool the more stubborn I am the more treats I get, I will continue this behavior" Use food as a lure from the beginning, or as a reward never as a bribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment