Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Waking you up because they want to be fed

I have had 2 lessons this week with owners having the troubling behavior of the dogs waking them up tooo early in the morning because the dogs want to be fed.
One of them is actually getting up at 3am to feed let the dog out and go back to bed just so the dog will let them finish sleeping.
I figure this is a perfect topic for the blog!
If you are already having this trouble with your dog i recommend crating them so that they cannot get to you to bug you to wake you up.
In general I recommend not feeding the dogs at the same time every night or morning. Mix up so they are never expecting a given time.
For example some mornings mine eat as soon as i'm awake and sometimes its a 1/2hr after that or even 1 or 2 hours after Im awake and I tend to wake up at different times depending on the day. I always take them out 1st thing to potty but I wait to feed them most mornings, I also change it up between who eats 1st and I feed the cats around the same time as the dogs. So sometimes the cats eat 1st and sometimes its the dogs but again not necessarily right after each other so they are never expecting.
Same with in the evening... Sometimes they eat before i leave for teaching classes around 5pm and sometimes its when i get home around 9pm. I just make sure they have enough time to potty before bed.
With this schedule I have never had a problem with anyone waking me up to early or pestering me to be fed.
Hope this is helpful and you can both have a good nights sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment