Friday, February 8, 2013

Cardboard box problem solving games

I love teaching dogs how to think and figure things out on their own.
It can be great confidence building as well as great mental stimulation.
One of my favorites that is very simple is teaching them words associated with a box.
I start with teaching a marker word. "YES" is what I use.
Some like to use a clicker instead of a word.. I just find that clicker, treats, and leash is too much for me and i don't always have a clicker with me.
I start with saying "Yes" and feed the dog a treat immediately after.
DO NOT say the word and FEED at the same time. Must be after the word is said.
I get out a cardboard box and start really simple... I encourage the dog to go check it out.
The dog touches it or sniffs it at all and i say "Yes" and treat them.
I do this.. maybe 5-8 times in a row so now the dog is completely engaged with this box means good things.
Then I will have the box flipped over and encourage the dog to touch it with his/her paw.
I lure the dog with the food toward the box and upward. Initially the dog will accidently touch the box and you will say "Yes" and treat. Do this multiple times once the dog starts associating that his paw touching the box gets the treat you can start adding a word to it. "Paw"/"Touch" etc...
I would give the dog a break at this time and continue more in a bit or later on.
Other things I do with the box... depending on the size of the box
after each thing I have put suggestions for what you can call it... just suggestions you can call it anything you would like.
In between each of these give your dog a short break..
DON't try to do all of this in one day.
Each one of these is a lot of thinking. Please keep your training sessions short no more than 5 minutes.
MOST of all HAVE FUN!

  • Put Front 2 Paws on box "Front Paws"
  • Put Back 2 Paws on box "Back Paws
  • Put all 4 Paws up on box "Climb"
  • Touch it with his nose "Nose"
  • move the box with his nose "Nudge" 
  • Put their mouth on the box "Get it"/"Munch" / "snack" / "hold"
  • Picking up the box with "mouth" and moving it
  • flip the box over "Flip it"
  • Have the box open upward get the front 2 Paws in the box "Front Paws in"
  • Have the box open upward get the back 2 paws in the box "Back Paws In"
  • All 4 paws in the box "Get in" 
I think that's enough to get you started! 

If you want help learning how to teach these I'd be happy to come to your home and work on this with you and your dog in a private lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment